Much has been said and written about the damaging effects of ultraviolet (UV) rays on the skin; however, less is spoken about the impact of these harmful rays on our glossy tresses and sensitive scalps. Your hair and scalp are just as susceptible to the adverse effects of the sun, highlighting the need for substantial UV protection. As specialists in the hair and beauty domain, we aim to enlighten you about the significance, applications, and benefits of sunshine safeguards or UV protection for your scalp, along with some pro tips, practical examples, and dependable products to ensure that your hair health is never compromised.
Sunshine is significant for Vitamin D synthesis, and nothing can replace the joy of stepping out on a clear, sunny day. However, prolonged exposure to sunlight, especially between 10 am and 4 pm, often emits harsh UV rays that may damage the scalp and hair, leading to dryness, brittleness, discoloration, and even premature hair graying. More critically, UV rays may affect the DNA of the scalp cells, leading to conditions like sunburn and scalp cancer. Therefore, it becomes quintessential to protect your scalp from these harmful rays, reducing the risk of potential hair and scalp damage.
Applications: Pro Tips
1. Sunscreen for Scalp: Similar to your skin, your scalp must also be safeguarded with sunscreen. Opt for a broad-spectrum sunscreen lotion or spray that offers SPF 30 or higher. Make sure to apply it generously on all the exposed parts of your scalp 30 minutes before going out.
2. Wear a Hat: This is one of the simplest and most stylish surrogates for scalp protection. Invest in a hat crafted from tightly woven fabric that can block most of the sun’s harmful rays. Hats also shade your charming tresses and your facial skin.
3. Stay Hydrated: Hydrated hair and scalp are less prone to sun damage. Ensure to intake a great deal of water, fresh juices, and eat fruits rich in Vitamin A and C, promoting healthy hair and scalp.
4. Use UV Protection Hair Products: Several hair products, like shampoos, conditioners, serums, and sprays, are infused with a shielding layer of UV filters. They hydrate and nourish your hair, along with providing ample protection against harmful UV rays.
5. Visit a Salon: The right hair treatments can replenish your hair’s lost nutrients due to sun exposure. Opt for deep conditioning treatments, hair masks, or scalp treatments to restore moisture and health to your scalp.
The act of shielding your scalp against sunlight pays off in the long run, ensuring a healthy scalp and glossy hair. It prevents your hair from turning frizzy, rough, brittle and keeps your scalp from being dry and flaky. Moreover, shunning the negative impacts of UV rays helps in minimizing the risk of possible scalp ailments, including skin cancer.
The relentless sun may be harsh, but with the right shield of protection, you can soak in the summer fun without having to worry about your scalp and hair. The array of solutions mentioned in our pro tips will offer substantial aid against harmful UV rays, so you get to enjoy happy, sunny days with your hair’s health at its best. Remember, proper scalp sun-protection is as vital as skin sun-protection; hence, do not overlook the need for shielding your scalp from the treacherous rays of the sun.
1. Rittie, L., & Fisher, G. J. (2015). UV-light-induced signal cascades and skin aging. Ageing research reviews, 19, 16–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2014.04.002
2. D’Orazio, J., Jarrett, S., Amaro-Ortiz, A., & Scott, T. (2013). UV radiation and the skin. International journal of molecular sciences, 14(6), 12222–12248. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms140612222